Tuesday, November 10, 2009

On Passionless Reason and Irrational Passion

Your reason and your passion are the rudder and the sails of your seafaring soul. If either your sails or your rudder be broken, you can but toss and drift, or else be held at a standstill in mid-seas.

Kahlil Gibran

I am at a standstill. I have struck a sandbar and don't know how to extricate myself. I wouldn't say I've reached a low point. It's more like I am frustrated to the point of paralysis. Even writing, which is usually a source of joy and healing has become a source of anxiety and something to be avoided, as you may have noticed already. I feel like a boat adrift on a cloudy night, with no sense of direction. I just want to abandon myself to the comforting rocking of the waves.

It must be time to reevaluate the relationship between my reason and my passion. No rudder and no sails will quickly get me nowhere…

There! My reason led me to write this much. Hopefully my passion will energize me to do more tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment