Friday, October 9, 2009

On Communication and Meaning

"Half of what I say is meaningless; but I say it so that the other half may reach you."
Kahlil Gibran

I often persuade myself that I have something important, even crucial to say; a secret I have to share for the redemption of humanity. That important, that conceited, I know! So I set off on my writing and speaking journey, a mission of sorts, and try to string a necklace of carefully chosen words and thoughts to bring joy to your life, my beloved friends. When I’m done crafting this gift I magnanimously wish to bestow on you, I realize that half the pearls are fake and some of the golden shine comes from the rays of the sun and not from the intrinsic value of my ideas.

What to do? I panic. All this time and effort dedicated to something that may or may not be appreciated; may or may not be valuable after all!

I sit under the shadow of the cypress by the water’s edge and consider throwing away my flawed and insignificant work, but KG inspires me and encourages me not to give up. If even a fraction of my words are true and rich and they can touch your heart, then it’s worth it to throw my secrets to the wind and hope that some sweet and lovely part of them may reach you.

No comments:

Post a Comment