Monday, October 12, 2009

On Friendship and Peace

Your friend is your needs answered. He is your field which you sow with love and reap with thanksgiving. And he is your board and your fireside. For you come to him with your hunger, and you seek him for peace.
Kahlil Gibran


There is nothing sweeter than a true friend, and today I tasted that sweetness with a relatively new friend. For many years I have been relatively isolated, too busy to make time for my friends, but lately I have made it a priority to stay in touch with my good friends, new and old, and they have all proven to be a blessing to me.
I needed company, someone to listern to me and to bounce my thoughts and feelings, my joys and my tears off of. I have been starving for friends for some time now. Good friends that know when to listen silently and with their full hearts; when to express an opinion in a gentle and loving way; when to laugh with me, and when to watch me cry. Someone who loves me enough to let me know if I'm straying off my path, which could be different from hers; to refrain from judging me or the people I may be frustrated about, knowing that people can grow and change, and that labels often hurt relationships beyond repair. Someone who will not fan the fires of my anger or sadness or self-pity, but contemplate their ferocity and help transform that energy into something positive.
I have been so blessed through my friends lately! They have each fulfilled a particular need in a very special way, and today I feel satisfied, grateful, and at peace. The love I've put into those relationships has ben returned to me ten thousand fold!

No comments:

Post a Comment